economical and much better because you made it!
Ingredients (for 6 to 8 people)
- 2 pre-spread puff pastries "pure butter
- 1 egg yolk (for gilding)
- 150 g softened butter + 20 g (for the mould)
- 3 eggs
- 150 g almond powder
- 150 g icing sugar
- 3 tablespoons white rum (optional)
The recipe for the galette des rois
- Preheat the oven to 200° (th. 6-7)
- Soften the butter for 30 seconds in the microwave on defrost (or in a bain-marie if you don't have a microwave)
- Butter a large pie pan. Roll out the first puff pastry and prick it with a fork.
- Preparing the Frangipane Take out all the ingredients in advance so that they are at temperature. In a bowl, mix the butter, powdered sugar and almond powder. Add the eggs one by one and flavour with the rum. Pour this preparation on the pastry base. Cover with a second disk of dough. Press the edges of the 2 doughs to weld them.
- Dissolve 2 tablespoons of water in the egg yolk and brush the surface of the cake with this mixture. Draw criss-crossing stripes on the surface with a fork.
- Don't forget to add a bean (small subject of your choice), a dry bean or a small bean
- Bake for 40 minutes. Enjoy your meal!
Choosing the puff pastry Puff pastry: not always easy to choose a good puff pastry. The one from Picard is one of the best among all those tested.
Organic and good The most important thing is to use organic ingredients as much as possible. The cake will cost you a little more, but not as much as the one you buy at your bakery.
A light cake If you want to lighten the frangipane, replace half of the butter with applesauce or apple purée. This is a tip from the blogger Delphine on her blog Miss'Pat (organic and gourmet cuisine)
(this recipe is extracted from the excellent book "Le livre de cuisine" of Andrée Zana Murat, a true bible to have absolutely in its kitchen).
If you're looking for other fun and easy recipes to make with your kids, we've put together a little selection of family recipes extra.