Some questions about the Legion of Honor that the tour will answer:
- What is the Legion of Honor?
- Who created the Legion of Honor?
- Who can receive it and who can give it?
- How many people have already received it?
The visit of the museum of the Legion of Honor in 5 steps
It is a journey through the history of France and the world that this small museum offers us. The visit begins with a presentation of the history of the Palais de Salm and the history of the museum. The visit continues with the discovery of 5 rooms (5 spaces) in which you can discover paintings, weapons, art objects, costumes and documents.
Interactive screens present the history of French decorations from the Middle Ages to the present day. They also explain the current functioning of the national orders and their members.
- The Royal Orderly Room : order of Saint-Michel, order of the Holy Spirit, order of Saint-Louis, Institution of Military Merit?
- The hall of the Legion of Honor Weapons of reward and honor, Legion of Honor, Orders of the Iron Crown and of the Reunion, Orders of the Emperor's brothers?
- Mario Spada Hall dedicated to foreign orders: more than 400 orders from 122 past or present states.
- The contemporary room : decorations of the Revolution, the Restoration, the Second Empire (Military Medal and commemorative medals), the two world wars?
The visit ends with the medals of honor, the colonial and ministerial orders and the National Order of Merit, the second national order created by General de Gaulle in 1963.
Exceptional and rare objects can be found at the Legion of Honor Museum
- A cuirass and a parade helmet of Napoleon I dating from 1807
- Military Medal and War Cross of Marshal Foch (1851-1929)
- Partisan Song Manuscript, 1943
- Current necklace of the Legion of Honor