Basic Ingredients : rice + milk + cream + sugar
With cooking (over pan)
Cooking time between 50mn and 1h
For 6 to 8 people:
- 180 gr round rice (white Arborio type)
- 1 l whole milk (preferably organic)
- 50cl whipping cream (whole if possible, richer but so much better)
- 140gr caster sugar
- 3 vanilla beans (but 1 or 2 is fine too)
- 1 pinch of salt
- Boil some water and throw the rice in it. Drain it as soon as it starts boiling again.
- In a large saucepan, Pour the milk and the whipping cream.. Bring to a boil
- Split the vanilla beans in two, scrape the inside to collect the seeds and add pods and seeds to the pan
- Add the rice and cook over low heat for about 1 hour (it needs to boil slightly). Stir very gently from time to time to ensure that the bottom of the pan does not stick.
- 10mn before the end of the cooking time, pour the powdered sugarMix and cook for another 10 minutes.
- It can be eaten warm or cold and is even better the next day (if there are any left).
1 - I sometimes replace the vanilla pods with a few orange peels (grandmother's recipe).
2 - I put a little less sugar than Andrée Zana's recipe and I let it cook 5 to 10 minutes less so that it is a little creamier.