Built in the late twelfth century, the Chateau de Vincennes is the only French royal residence dating from the Middle Ages that still retains its original appearance. The visit of the castle allows to see the castle, the Royal Chapel, the ramparts, the moat and the dungeon. Nevertheless, it is better to be warned, all the rooms of the castle are empty. Count about 2 hours for the complete visit.
Visit the Château de Vincennes
Royal residence from the twelfth to the eighteenth century, the visit of the castle of Vincennes makes it possible to apprehend the daily life in the Middle Ages, as well as life of guards and prisoners incarcerated in the dungeon. We remember the Duke D'Enghien's affair and we discover the Famous prisoners who have "stayed" at the Château de Vincennes.
To visit the castle of Vincennes and its dungeon, it is better to be in shape: not less than 250 steps to climb to the top.
It is the highest fortified tower in Europe and it was here that Henry V of England died.
Every year, in Decemberdon't miss the Enchants of VincennesA parade and a great medieval show that brings together about a hundred participants. An ideal outing with children.
The Sainte-Chapelle of Vincennes
Founded in 1379, on the model of the Holy Chapel of ParisThe one in Vincennes is nevertheless much more sober. It remains an interesting monument and family visits are organized to discover the Sainte Chapelle (from 5 years old).
- On reservation at +33 (0) 1 48 08 31 20
Tickets received immediately
on your smartphone. We advise you to download your ticket before your visit, as the network is not very good at the château entrance.
The (virtual) visit of the Chateau de Vincennes
Walking in Vincennes
- Vincennes is a very pleasant town whose main shopping street (rue du midi) is pedestrian on Saturdays, nice for families with young children.
- The esplanade of the town hall has been transformed into a vast garden. Winter, an outdoor rink is installed there. Summertime, water misters allow to cool down the children when it's hot
- For children from 3 to 12 years old...a few hundred yards from the Château de Vincennes, "The sunset gardenis a play area built above the RER with about fifteen games such as canes, springs, balance bar, stainless steel gantry, carousel, spring disk
We suggest you in the surroundings...
- The Floral ParkA real playground for children (playgrounds, puppet shows, tree climbing...)
- The farm of Paris. It is free for all, all year round and it is an essential outing with children in the Bois de Vincennes
- Go to row at the Daumesnil lake or the Minimes lake
- Take the children to the Paris Zoological Park
- Go to the Tropical Aquarium of the Porte Dorée