Discover the castle and its gardens
Stroll in the park of the Palace of Versaillesvisit of the castle, picnic on the lawns, boat ride, visit of the domain of Marie AntoinetteTrianon's castles? Of all the castles of Ile de Francethe Palace of Versailles and its domain are the embodiment of the excesses of the time of Louis XIV and the height of elegance. The castle and its 2300 rooms (not all of them are visible), as well as the magnificent 800-hectare park will fascinate children. In Versailles, many activities are proposed for the children. In addition, there are spectacular events punctuate the seasons.
* Entrance ticket for the Palace of Versailles gives access at the Gardens except during the performances of the Musical Fountains or the Musical Gardens days (April to October)
** Entrance ticket to the Palace of Versailles, access to the Gardens (however, a supplement must be paid on the days of the fountain and musical garden shows), access to the Trianon domain, access to the carriage gallery weekends, and during the Christmas vacations
- The entrance to the Domaine is free for children (-18 years old and -26 years old EU residents)
- The Grandes Eaux musicales and the musical gardens are free for children under 6 years old
Activities for children at the Château de Versailles
- Small train to explore the Park and reach the most remote places like the castles of Trianon. 8,50 ? full price for a complete tour from the Castle. 6,50 ? for people from 11 to 18 years old, Free for children under 11 years old. Return to the Castle: 4,60 ? Depending on the season, trains every 10, 15 or 20 minutes.
- Ride in a small electric vehicle to take full advantage of the estate. The vehicles can take 4 people and are equipped with a geolocation system and an audio guide in 8 languages. Unfortunately, it is not cheap: 34 ? per hour per vehicle
- Boat on the Grand Canal . 4 people per boat or 5 people if there are children. 14 ? per half hour, 18 ? per hour, 4,50 ? per additional quarter hour
- Bicycle rental with the possibility to pick up a bicycle at one point and return it to another. 7 ? per half hour, 9 ? per hour.
Guided or entertaining tours in Versailles
- A guided tour of the Palace of Versailles with a guide (all public) - In French, English, Spanish - Max 20 people
- A family visit: If I were told about Versailles? (from 7 years old)
- A storytelling tour : The Great Hours of the Gardens of Versailles (from 8 years old, resumed in spring)
- An escape game / historical cluedo in Versailles: 2 hours to save the King (from 9 years old) ?
- The cultural tour: Revolution tour, guided tour in Versailles (from 10 years old)
- A riddle game (without a guide) in the castle district: Enigma stroll : a treasure hunt in Versailles (small budget) ?
- Guided tour of Marie-Antoinette's private estate (in English)
The Estate of Marie-Antoinette ?
- It is composed of the Petit Trianon, Grand Trianon, Hameau de la Reine, the farm?
- It is one of the jewels of the Palace of Versailles
- The park is beautiful and it is nice to walk around
- The Hameau de la Reine and its thatched and half-timbered buildings have a great charm
- The animal farm will please the children (horses, sheep, goats...)
- The ticket "Castle + garden + domain" gives access to the domain of Marie-Antoinette
- But you can also take a ticket only for the Marie-Antoinette's domain
Events and shows at the Palace of Versailles
- Les Grandes Eaux Musicales (every weekend from April to the end of October). During the Grandes Eaux Musicales, the fountains fail in music and exceptionally parts of the park usually closed are accessible to the public. At the time of Louis XIV, the bosquets were open-air salons hidden in the heart of the wooded areas of the garden. These were places of celebration and entertainment, where one could have a snack, listen to music or dance.
- The Musical Gardens Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays until the end of October. Walk to the rhythm of baroque music (Lully, Rameau, Charpentier?), in the heart of the French gardens.
- The big nocturnal waters Every Saturday from June to September (8:30 pm to 11 pm). A 2h30 walk to the rhythm of baroque music, in the sumptuous French gardens of the Château de Versailles. The whole is set in water and light. The evening ends with a great fireworks display at 10:50 pm. It is simply magical
- The Royal Serenade in the Hall of Mirrors Every Saturday from June to September (5 sessions per evening of 40 minutes: 6:30 pm ? 6:50 pm ? 7:10 pm ? 7:30 pm ? 7:50 pm). An opportunity to discover the Grands Appartements of the Château de Versailles in the company of baroque musicians and dancers
- The King's journey from the Hall of Mirrors to the King's apartments: the magic of Christmas in the Hall of Mirrors. From December 11 to 30, 2021, starting at 6 pm. Exceptional show visit
Some advice before you come
- Remember to book your tickets for the Château de Versailles otherwise you will queue twice: first to take the ticket and then to enter the castle.
- If possible, avoid weekends and Tuesdays, which are very busy days.
- We advise you to visit the Castle at 9am. Then go to the Trianon domain from noon.
- The Versailles estate covers 800 hectares so don't hesitate to take the little train to get to Marie-Antoinette's estate.
- Start with a visit to the castle (entrance A) and take the audioguide. Audioguides are included in the price of adult tickets.
- Continue with a visit to the gardens and groveswith the great musical waters of the summer.
- Head to the Grand Canal and picnic on its lawns. If you don't have any sandwiches, you can buy them at one of the food points in the gardens, or have lunch at one of the two restaurants north of the Canal.
- Then discover the Trianon, Grand and Petit. They only open at noon.
- And end with a walk in the area of Marie-Antoinette with its factories and its farm?