Exhibition at the Pompidou Center
THE EXHIBITION "Matisse, like a novel
- WE LOVE : a very beautiful retrospective of a painter very accessible to the young public
- AGE: for all, from 6 years old in free visit. Family workshops from 2 years old
- DATE: Until February 21, 2020
- LOCATION: Pompidou Center (Paris 4th)
Matisse, like a novel: the new exhibition at the Centre Pompidou
- On the occasion of the 150th anniversary of the birth of Henri Matisse (1869-1954), the Centre Pompidou pays tribute to him with an exhibition that brings together major works, some of which have not been seen in France since the great retrospective devoted to Matisse in 1970 at the Grand Palais.
- The exhibition presents more than 230 works and 70 documents and archives.
- Divided into 9 "chapters", the route is chronologicalfrom its beginnings around 1890 to the 1950s.
- The exhibition attempts to explore the text/image intricacy within Matisse's work. "The importance of an artist is measured by the quantity of new signs that he has introduced into the language of art": Henri Matisse.
- This painter, sculptor, draughtsman, engraver wanted to find "a writing for each object".
- Each of the nine sequences of the exhibition is illuminated by the view of an author on the work of Matisse Louis Aragon, Georges Duthuit, Dominique Fourcade, Clément Greenberg, Charles Lewis Hind, Pierre Schneider, Jean Clay and Henri Matisse himself. The exhibition questions Matisse's relationship to all forms of writing ? from the plastic sign to the word.
- A major exhibition.