In Versailles, there are the Palace of Versailles and its Hall of Mirrors, the Grand Canal, the groves and the Domaine de Marie-Antoinette. The latter is composed of of the Petit and Grand Trianonof several charming buildings, a lake, small rivers, gardens, a small park and aa farm. Marie-Antoinette used this domain as a place to walk and to entertain. The place is magnificent and it is nice to walk around. A very nice place for the family where children can play, go and see the farm animals and especially discover a place full of history.
The Little and the Big Trianon
- The Petit Trianon was built during the reign of Louis V. It was offered to Louis XVI and Marie-Antoinette who loved this place!
- It will be restored later by Napoleon
- The Grand Trianon (1687), a refined building inspired by Italian architecture, is one of the jewels of the Palace of Versailles
The Queen's Hamlet
It is composed of several thatched cottages including :
- The Queen's house and the billiard house (1783), two buildings that had several game rooms, a large dining room and an anteroom
- The dovecote which housed poultry and pigeons (1783)
- Beautiful gardens and vegetable gardens surround these small thatched and half-timbered houses
- Everything is nice, charming and very neat
The farm of Marie-Antoinette (1784-1788)
- It housed a herd of cows, bulls, goats and pigeons...
- The farm provided milk and eggs to the queen
- Today, you can see horses, donkeys, goats, sheep and chickens
- This farm has a strong educational vocation. It is also a refuge because all the boarders are from rescue
Free for -18 and -26 years old EU residents