The last residence of the kings and queens of France
(free for -18 years old and -25 EU citizens)
Why visit the Saint-Denis Basilica
- It is a jewel of gothic artan absolutely magnificent monument with a fascinating history
- Since Notre-Dame is closed to the public, it is the closest Gothic cathedral near Paris
- The stained glass windows and sculptures are extraordinary
- You will discover the last residence of 43 kings, 32 queens and 10 servants of the monarchy, and in particular Marie-Antoinette
- There are very few people so it's nice to walk around
- It is very easy to access: the basilica is located 2 minutes walk from the metro (line 13, station Basilique de Saint-Denis)
- In winter, cover yourself well, it's chilly there
Good plan, save by buying 2 attractions at the same time
A little history
- It is in the north of Paris that the Basilica of Saint-Denis is located, a magnificent edifice, the first founding work of Gothic art of the 12th century.
- It is a former royal abbey built on the tomb of Saint-Denis which houses the tombs (from the 12th to the 16th century) of 43 kings, 32 queens and 10 servants of the Kingdom. It shelters 70 sculpted tombs
- Stroll through the basilica, admire the stained glass windows and walk through the magnificent ambulatory
- Take the audioguide, because the history of the Basilica is rich and fascinating
The guided tour "The jewels of Saint-Denis" (with the 8/14 years old)
- The children discover the mysteries of gothic art. We explain to them how technically we have been able to build so high and with such delicacy.
- Thecross-arches, buttresses and stained glass windows will no longer have any secrets for them!
- The guided tour is also an opportunity to recall the history of France and its great kings and queens
- It is a fun and exciting guided tour in the company of Saint-Denis, Dagobert, Saint-Louis, Catherine de Médicis, Henri IV, Louis XVII?
- This visit is regularly scheduled. It can also be privatized.
Other ideas in Seine-Saint-Denis
Parisian monuments to visit with your family