It is a great classic of Swiss cuisine, a simple and economical dish. Perfect for an evening meal (children love it) to be served with a green salad or grated carrots or to accompany meat for lunch.
INGREDIENTS (for 4 people):
- 4 mealy potatoes (agria or bintje)
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 tablespoon of neutral oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 onion
- 2 pinches of salt and pepper
- Peel the potatoes and grate them. Squeeze the potatoes between your hands to squeeze out as much juice as possible.
- Peel the onion and slice it finely
- Mix the potatoes, the onions and add the eggs and theflour for consistency. Season with salt and pepper.
- Heat a little oil in a large frying pan.
- Using a large spoon, place several heaps in the pan. Flatten them to obtain a patty.
- Turn the patties over several times for even cooking
- When they are golden and coloured (but soft in the centre), place them on a paper towel and serve with a green salad.
1 - You can add small bacon in the preparation. Or chopped parsley
2 - Prepare them in advance. You can reheat them in the pan at the last moment (not in the microwave, they would all become soft).
3 - A Roast (or roesti) on horseback: for a more complete dish, serve them with a fried egg on top.
4 - Prefer organic potatoes
5 - Some recipes recommend pre-cooking the potatoes (they must be firm through and through).