The castle of Pierrefonds
It was built at the end of the XIVth century by the Duke Louis of Orleans, then dismantled in the XVIIth. Only the ramparts remain. Napoleon 1st buys it. And it is Napoleon III who entrusted the architect Eugène Viollet-le-Duc with the reconstruction of this ruined castle. It is a castle reinvented by Viollet-le-Duc, in a Gothic style, which will make an ideal castle such as it would have existed in the Middle Ages.
The visit of the castle of Pierrefonds:
- This castle is a castle-museum. It was the wish of Napoleon III
- It is a polychrome castleThe color is still very present (friezes, ornamental details, frescoes?)
- Outside the castle Double ramparts, loopholes, machicolations, watchtowers (stone sentry boxes at the corners of castles, bastions, to keep watch), the keep and the eight towers of the castle
- Inside the castle Painted and sculpted decorations, gargoyles, a walkway, the basement which shelters tombs, furniture, armoury?
- In the dungeonyou will see furniture designed by Viollet-le-Duc
- Attention: it takes about 20 minutes to walk to the entrance of the castle
Visiting with children:
- Children love the Middle Ages and stories of knights and princesses? Pierrefonds castle will please them!
- Think about download the children's booklet before your visit
Free for -18 and -26 years old EU residents