It was built at the end of the 14th century by Duke Louis d'Orléans, then dismantled in the 17th century. Only the ramparts remain. Napoleon I bought it back. And it was Napoleon III who entrusted the architect Eugène Viollet-le-Duc with the reconstruction of this ruined castle. It is a castle reinvented by Viollet-le-Duc, in a Gothic style, which will make it an ideal castle as it would have existed in the Middle Ages.
The visit of the castle of Pierrefonds:
- This castle is a castle-museum. It was the wish of Napoleon III...
- It is a polychrome castleThe colour is still very present (friezes, ornamental details, frescoes...).
- Outside the castle Double ramparts, loopholes, machicolations, watchtowers (stone sentry boxes at the corners of castles, bastions, to keep watch), the keep and the eight towers of the castle
- Inside the castle : painted and sculpted decorations, gargoyles, a walkway, the basement which shelters tombs, furniture, the armory...
- In the dungeonyou will see furniture designed by Viollet-le-Duc
- Attention: it takes about 20 minutes to walk to reach the entrance of the castle.
Visiting with children:
- Children love the Middle Ages and the stories of knights and princesses... Pierrefonds castle will please them!
- Think of download the children's booklet before your visit
Free for -18 and -26 years old EU residents