For 8 to 14 year olds
Before booking, please check that there are enough places available for the session as a whole.. If only one place remains, it can only be reserved for an additional adult OR child joining a family already registered.
⚠️ Unless otherwise specified for certain ADOS tours, we accept NO single children.
The "Jewels of the Saint-Denis Basilica" guided tour
Older than Notre-Dame, there are... the basilica of Saint-Denis, an architectural and historical marvel. A masterpiece of Gothic art, the basilica houses the tombs of 43 kings and 32 queens!
- During this guided family tour, children will discover, first of all, the principle of gothic constructions. Why so high? And how does it all fit? And why colored stained glass ? Explanation of the cross-ribs, the buttresses, demonstration in support...
- The other theme of the visit is about the choice of this basilica for last residence of the kings of France. Why in Saint-Denis? Why, the body parts of the kings are sometimes "scattered like a puzzle" here but also elsewhere in France or abroad? What is the difference between a recumbent, a praying and a transit?
- This guided tour of the Saint Denis basilica is punctuated by little disgusting stories, like the terrible story of Saint-Denis and many other small stories and rituals of the time sometimes very morbids... ... so that culture becomes child's play.
- A fascinating visit with Saint-Denis, Dagobert, Saint-Louis, Catherine de Médicis, Henri IV, Louis XVII...
- A playful guided tour adapted to children from 8 years old.
Rates and information for scheduled visits
- 20 to 22 participants maximum per visit
- duration : 1h30
- Meeting place at the Saint-Denis Basilica
- This visit is animated by guide-lecturers
- An adult seat is necessarily associated with a child seat.
- Visit in French
- Who is it for? : school, extra-curricular, birthday, family privatization...
- Rate From 250 euros per visit
- Increase of 20% on Sundays and holidays
- Number 25 people max (adults and/or children)
- Visit in French or English
- For schoolchildren: from the first grade / primary school
Written by Alexandre Messerli, on 17-11-2023
An excellent guide, very suitable for younger children. We felt her passion for the subject presented. Top! 😉
- Great guide
Written by Myriam CHARCHARLESLES, 28-10-2023
Tour easily booked for 3 adults and a 13-year-old child. The guide was great. Very pleasant, educational and competent. Very good historian.
- Super guide, very nice and great explanations
Written by marie-aline VIAL, 26-10-2023
Yes, no problem
Written by Tour626014, on 04-12-2022
A fascinating tour of the Cathedral/Basilica of Saint Denis, adapted to a young audience. Marie, our excellent guide, did an excellent job of involving the children while telling them about the history of the site.