The largest Parisian ossuary, thrills guaranteed!
The Catacombs of Paris is :
- Getting scared in front of the largest Parisian ossuary?
- AT 20m undergrounda real labyrinth where the remains of about six million Parisians are gathered
- These are the skeletons transferred between the end of the 18th century and the middle of the 19th century, as the cemeteries were closed due to insalubrity. What to have the goosebumps !
- A tangle of obscure galleries and narrow corridors, where the visitor discovers a staging of death with the bones ? from the skull to the tibia ? arranged in a romantic and macabre decor. For your information, on the 300 kilometers of tunnels dugOnly a small part of it can be visited at the moment.
- Reflect on the place of the dead in daily life and remember that in the Middle Ages, the tradition was to live near the dead
- Recommended for children over 10 years old: shivers guaranteed!
A few tips before visiting the Catacombs
- It is above all a visit for teensThe youngest may be frightened by the macabre staging of this very large ossuary
- Remember to take a sweater (the temperature is 14 ° all year)
- Remember to take a flashlight
- Bring comfortable shoes: course of about 1.5 km
- Attention, there are 243 steps: the Catacombs of Paris, it is 131 steps to go down and 112 steps to go up
- Make sure to get your tickets in advance, or come at the opening to avoid the long wait at the entrance
Guided tour of the Catacombs (max. 14 people per tour)