The largest ossuary in Paris, shivers guaranteed! Not recommended for children under 10 years old
The Catacombs of Paris is:
- Getting scared in front of the largest Parisian ossuary...
- AT 20m undergrounda veritable labyrinth where the remains of some six million Parisians are gathered
- These are the skeletons transferred between the end of the 18th century and the middle of the 19th century, as the cemeteries closed due to insalubrity. What to have goosebumps !
- A entanglement of dark galleries and narrow corridors, where the visitor discovers a staging of death with the bones - from the skull to the shin - arranged in one romantico-macabre decor. For your information, on the 300 kilometres of galleries dugOnly a small part of it can be visited at the moment.
- Reflect on the place of the dead in everyday life and remember that in the Middle Ages, the tradition was to live near one's dead
- Recommended for over 10 years: shivers guaranteed!
A few tips before visiting the Catacombs
- It is above all a visit for teensthe younger ones can be frightened by the macabre staging of this very large ossuary.
- Remember to take a sweater (the temperature is 14 ° all year)
- Remember to take a flashlight
- Provide comfortable shoes: course of about 1.5 km
- Attention, there are 243 steps: the Catacombs of Paris, it is 131 steps to go down and 112 steps to go up
- Especially take your tickets in advance, or come to the opening to avoid the long wait at the entrance