Fontainebleau is the only royal and imperial castle that has been continuously inhabited for seven centuries. It is also the most furnished castle in France. It has 1500 rooms (not all of them are accessible to the public). The park and gardens cover nearly 130 hectares.
THE VISIT OF THE CASTLE OF FONTAINEBLEAU AND THE PARK
- The entrance ticket allows a free visit of the castle including the Napoleon I museum and the Grand Apartments (count about 2 hours of visit)
- The Imperial Theater, the Small Apartments, the Apartments of Mrs. de Maintenon and the Turkish boudoir are visible in guided tours only
- An audioguide for 7/12 year olds is available in French and English (price: 2 ?)
VISIT THE CASTLE IN PERIOD COSTUME
- The company Les Arlequins offers to rent its costumes for the time of your visit: disguises of musketeers of the king, marquis, marquises?
- During the school vacations of the zone C (except in July and August):
- Every day (except Tuesday). From October to March: from 10am to 5pm (last rental at 4:15pm). From April to June and September: from 10am to 6pm (last rental at 5:15pm)
- Children under 12 years old : 8 ?
- Rate for 12 years old and more : 12 ?
- (an identity card is required as a guarantee)
THEMATIC GUIDED TOURS
- The discovery of the castle A tour dedicated to meeting the sovereigns who have succeeded each other in Fontainebleau and discovering the castle's emblematic sites (duration: 1h30) - Every day at 11:15 am and 2:15 pm. Thursdays and Saturdays at 4pm.
- The visit of the Imperial Theater The Imperial Theater was commissioned by Napoleon III and inaugurated in 1857. You will discover the history of the construction of the theater, the imperial lodge, the sets and the performances given for the court (duration: 1h) - Every day at 11:30 am and 4:30 pm
- The visit of the Small Apartments: Built during the reign of Louis XV, who had a series of small cabinets installed for his use on the first floor of the Grands Appartements wing, the Petits Appartements, as we see them today, are the result of the final changes decided upon during the two Empires (duration 1h30) - Every day at 2:30 pm - Monday and Friday at 11:45 a.m.