Fontainebleau is the only royal and imperial castle inhabited continuously for seven centuries. It is also the most furnished castle in France. It has 1500 rooms (not all of them are accessible to the public). The park and the gardens extend over nearly 130 hectares.
THE VISIT OF THE FONTAINEBLEAU CASTLE AND THE PARK
- The entrance ticket allows a free visit of the castle including the Napoleon I Museum and the Grands Appartements (approximately 2 hours of visit).
- The Imperial Theatre, the Small Apartments, the Apartments of Madame de Maintenon and the Turkish Boudoir are visible on guided tours only.
- An audioguide for 7/12 year olds is available in French and English (rate: 2 €)
VISIT THE CASTLE IN PERIOD COSTUME
- The company Les Arlequins offers to rent its costumes for the time of your visit: disguises of the king's musketeers, marquis, marquises...
- During school holidays in Zone C (except July and August):
- Every day (except Tuesday). From October to March: from 10am to 5pm (last rental at 4.15pm). From April to June and September: from 10am to 6pm (last rental at 5.15pm).
- Price for children under 12 years old : 8 €.
- Tariff for 12 years old and +: 12 €.
- (ID is required as a deposit)
THEMATIC GUIDED TOURS
- The discovery of the castle A tour dedicated to meeting the sovereigns who succeeded one another at Fontainebleau, the discovery of the emblematic places of the castle (duration: 1h30) - Every day at 11.15 am and 2.15 pm. Thursdays and Saturdays at 4pm.
- The visit of the Imperial Theatre The Imperial Theatre was commissioned by Napoleon III and inaugurated in 1857. You will discover the history of the construction of the theater, the imperial lodge, the sets and the performances given for the court (duration: 1h) - Every day at 11:30 am and 4:30 pm
- The visit of the Small Apartments : Developed during the reign of Louis XV, who installed a series of small cabinets reserved for his use on the ground floor of the wing of the Grands Appartements, the Petits Appartements, as we see them today, are the result of the final arrangements decided under the two Empires (duration 1h30) - Every day at 2:30 pm – Monday and Friday at 11:45 a.m.